I have been fortunate to have had a varied, at times challenging but very enjoyable career. After attending school in Carlisle, I studied medicine at Leicester University. Following general professional training, including work in acute medicine and surgery, paediatrics, obstetrics & gynaecology, psychiatry and primary care, I joined the former Northern Region public health training programme. During this time, I attended Newcastle University where I studied for a masters degree in public health.
I have worked in various NHS and Public Health organisations in England and Scotland. Although I have been involved in many areas of public health practice during my career, most of my experience has been in the fields of health protection, screening, and emergency planning and response.
I am a Fellow of the UK Faculty of Public Health, a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of London and a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh.
Along with my two deputies, I also provide Medical Referee services to Carlisle City Council's crematorium.
Professional Qualifications and Fellowships
Professional Registration Details
Consultant in Public Health Medicine (Health Protection and Screening), NHS Dumfries and Galloway (since October 2013).
My responsibilities include:
- Leading the Health Protection Team
- Leading the Screening Services Team
- Board Screening Coordinator for:
- Pregnancy and Newborn, Cervical Cancer, Breast Cancer, Bowel Cancer, Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm and Diabetic Retinopathy Screening programmes
- Chair of National Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Screening Information Technology National User Group (AAA IT NUG) and Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Information Technology National User Group (DRS IT NUG)
- Public Health Management of Infectious Disease Cases
- Outbreak Control
- Public Health Management of Environmental Incidents
- Public Health Management of Major Incidents
- Coordination of Immunisation Programmes
- Managing the Immunisation Team
- Lead Trainer for Public Health Registrars
- Vice Chair of Scottish Variant CJD Working Group
Previous Consultant Posts (1996 to 2013)
- Consultant in Health Protection, Cumbria and Lancashire Public Health England Centre (April 2013-September 2013)
- Associate Director of Public Health (Health Protection), Cumbria Primary Care Trust (August 2008-March 2013).
- Consultant in Health Protection, Health Protection Agency, Cumbria and Lancashire Health Protection Unit (July 2002-July 2008).
- Consultant in Communicable Disease Control, North Cumbria Health Authority (December 1998-September 2001), and Carlisle and District Primary Care Trust (October 2001-June 2002).
- Consultant in Public Health Medicine (including Communicable Diseases & Environmental Health role), Dumfries and Galloway Health Board (March 1996 to December 1998).
Higher Specialist Training (1991-1996)
- Senior Registrar in Public Health Medicine, Dumfries and Galloway Health Board (January 1995 to February 1996).
- Senior Registrar in Public Health Medicine, East Cumbria Health Authority and then North Cumbria Health Authority (September 1993 to December 1994)
- Registrar and then Senior Registrar in Public Health Medicine, Northern Regional Health Authority (March 1993 to August 1993)
- Registrar in Public Health Medicine, West Cumbria Health Authority (September 1991 to February 1993)
General Professional Training (1989-1991)
- Senior House Officer in Psychiatry, Garlands Hospital, Carlisle (February 1991 to August 1991)
- Senior House Officer in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, City General and City Maternity Hospitals, Carlisle (August 1990 to January 1991)
- Senior House Officer in Paediatrics, Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle (February 1990 to July 1990)
- Trainee in General Practice in Carlisle (August 1989 to January 1990)
Pre-registration Experience (1988-1989)
- House Officer in General Medicine and Geriatrics, George Eliot Hospital, Nuneaton (February 1989 to July 1989)
- House Officer in General Surgery, Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle (August 1988 to January 1989)
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL
Faculty of Public Health
- Part A Examiner
- Deputy Faculty Adviser for Scotland
- Former Faculty Representative on the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges and Faculties in Scotland
- Training Coordinator and Educational Supervisor for Public Health Registrars
- Former Tutor on two General Practice Training Programmes in the Northern Deanery
- Former Vice-Chair of NHS Research Authority North West - Lancaster Research Ethics Committee
For several years, I was County Medical Officer and Commander of St John Ambulance Cumbria. Working largely with volunteers provided useful management experience and the highlight of my time with the organisation was the provision of first aid services to BBC Radio One's "Big Weekend" festival which was held in the county in 2011 and was attended by 80,000 people.
I have been a volunteer at Carlisle and District Talking Newspaper for many years. My duties there have included reading, editing and more recently managing the recording sessions.
I am also a former Secretary, Vice Chairman and Chairman of Carlisle Round Table.